I have to thank my friend, Karen, for this one. She made a batch of this cereal and brought some over for me to try. Oh my goodness! Take it from me, someone who ate boxed cereal more frequently than I would like to admit, this was heaven in a bowl! I had been wanting to quit boxed cereal but just didn’t have an aresenal of other options to replace it quite yet. This was a perfect substitute because it was just like a boxed cereal…but tasted better and because I could make it at home, I knew exactly what was in it. That means it had more nutrients and no preservatives or fillers.
I’m pleased to report that boxed cereal is now officially out of my breakfast rotation. Thanks to this Superfood Cereal and the many oatmeal recipes, like Refrigerator Oatmeal and Homemade Instant Oatmeal that I’ve come to love.
I’d love to site the source for this recipe but the website no longer exists. So thanks to whomever ran that football camp that Karen’s son attended years ago which resulted in Karen bringing this recipe to me and allowing me to give it new life. : )
- 1 bag puffed cereal (we use rice or millet)
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 cup freeze dried fruit
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup Juice Plus Vanilla Complete Shake mix (or your favorite plant-based vanilla powder)
- In a very large bowl mix almond butter and honey until smooth.
- Stir in chia seeds then cereal until it's well coated. Break apart any chunks.
- Sprinkle with coconut flour and protein powder and mix. Coat well and break up any chunks.
- Fold in freeze dried fruit.
- Stir in an airtight container.
- Can substitue any nut-butter in place of almond butter.
- Use organic ingredients, when possible.