Most of my food guilt last year revolved around our weekday breakfast choices. My husband (nice enough to do the shopping) would buy the healthiest versions of those not-so-healthy instant oatmeal packets. Finally, I did my research and stumbled upon a delicious homemade recipe that tastes so much better than those packets and has more nutrients and no preservatives. Now those who know me well know that I refuse to make these in little ziploc baggies because that seems like too much work and not very nice to Mother Earth. Oh, and I have an obsession with large mason jars. So this recipe I adapted from the one I found on www.theyummylife.com.
Craving something a little more refreshing for those hot, summer months? Try the Refrigerator Oatmeal! It’s da bomb!
- 3 cups Organic Oats
- 3/8 cup Wheat Germ
- 3/8 cup Vanilla Juice Plus Complete Shake Mix (could use another healthy shake mix or organic dry milk, but I prefer the flavor and nutritional punch in this whole-food based one)
- 3 Tbsp Ground Flax
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 pinches fine Sea Salt
- 1.5 - 3 Tbsp Coconut Palm Sugar
- 1.5 - 3 Tbsp unpacked Brown Sugar
- Add all ingredients in a large (approx. 8 cup) mason jar and shake to mix.
- I like to mix in any freeze-dried fruits or nuts. Just pour some in a bowl and add hot water. Enjoy! If you add dried fruit (not freeze-dried), don't add those until you are ready to add water.
- I can mix up two big jars in under ten minutes! That's INSTANT!