It was an exciting morning in the Hitch house today! The mornings have finally been warm enough for our favorite “summer porridge”! Okay, so that doesn’t sound very appetizing, but if you are an oatmeal loving family like ours, nothing tastes better on a warm spring or summer morning than a bowl of tasty and nutrient packed Refrigerator Oatmeal, as we call it. I stumbled upon this recipe on The Yummy Life, but found it easier to make big batches rather than individual servings. I whip up two giant mason jars of our two favorite flavors, Apple Cinnamon and Chocolate/Peanut Butter/Banana and we can enjoy oatmeal year round! These two jars will get us through three to four days depending on how many partake and how many servings end up in each bowl. My favorite thing other than the taste is that they are instant! Wake up and pour into bowl!
When the weather shifts back to chilly mornings, check out our Homemade Instant Oatmeal post, for the dry version to warm your insides.
- 1.5 cups rolled oats, uncooked
- 3 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1.5 cups organic, plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp Juice Plus Complete Vanilla Shake Mix (or substitute with your favorite)
- 1.5 cups organic unsweetened applesauce
- 3 Tbsp raw, organic cacao
- 3 Tbsp Juice Plus Chocolate Complete Shake mix (or substitute with your favorite)
- 1 medium banana chopped into bite-size pieces
- 2 Tbsp Peanut Butter (mixes in best if it is slightly melted)
- Add dry ingredients into 7 cup mason jar and shake to mix.
- Add almond milk and shake to mix.
- Add remaining ingredients and shake well.
- Place in refrigerator overnight. In morning, pour into bowl and enjoy!!