When was the last time you were flipping through old recipes and thought to yourself “Man, I really used to love that recipe, but there is no way I would eat that now!”. Times have certainly changed. We have better nutrition science and practical experience under our belts which have made it clear that some of the ingredients that we used to consider “healthy” are anything but. Margarine, vegetable oil, granulated sugar, refined flour…I’m talking to you! Spunky Avocado’s Recipe Rehab was born out of a need to tidy up those favorite old recipes and make them healthy…again. Welcome to the first recipe in our Rehab series (we are relying on our readers here…send us those old fave recipes! Just email them to us at email@example.com).
Our first Recipe Rehab victim is a good, ol’ fashioned banana bread recipe. Thank you to Karen from Cincinnati for sending it our way! Note: this original recipe was from The Pillsbury Cookbook dated 1989! You guessed it! White sugar, margarine, and all-purpose flour.
We like a good challenge. Maybe you want us to take a meat dish and morph it into a vegetarian dish that you could use for a Meatless Monday meal. Maybe a favorite deep fried veggie can be prepared in a way that it is just as yummy baked. Truth be told, not all recipes will taste exactly the same as the original. But don’t despair, they will be close enough and your taste buds will refine to appreciate healthy flavors free of the bad stuff. So, don’t be shy. Send over those old favorite recipes for their Spunky Avocado Recipe Rehab and eat better!
Finally, on to the new, no-guilt banana bread recipe! You will be amazed at how moist these muffins are; assuming the rest of your family saves one for you. ; )
- 1/2 cup organic unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup organic raw honey
- 1/4 cup organic coconut palm sugar
- 1/4 cup organic coconut oil
- 2 eggs from pasture-raised chickens
- 2 medium (ripe) mashed bananas
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- 2 cups whole wheat or white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp finely ground sea salt
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease muffin tin with coconut oil or use reusable silicone or unbleached paper muffin liners.
- Cream applesauce, honey, coconut palm sugar and coconut oil together in large mixing bowl.
- Beat in eggs.
- Blend in mashed bananas, almond milk and vanilla.
- In a small mixing bowl, add remaining ingredients (except dark chocolate chips).
- Mix dry ingredients with a whisk.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to creamed mixture and stir just until ingredients are moistened.
- Add dark chocolate chips, if desired.
- Spoon mixture into muffin tins/liners.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350 or until a toothpick comes out clean.